Ok so blogger will not let me move the pictures any more... so they will just have to stay at the top. Sorry.

Zoe sucking in her hand right after she was born.
Three generations of Thompsons. Kurt, his dad Brad and Zoe.
Daddy holding his sweet baby girl for the first time. He loves her so much already.
The nurse looked at me like I was a little crazy. I don't think she took me very seriously. But she casually said, "Ok I will check you."
And she did. At this point the anesthesiologist was walking in the door.
Then a little panic overtook her face.. she said, "umm you are 9."
It took a second for that to set in. as she told me I would NOT be receiving my epidural I was counting on. The anesthesiologist turned around and walked right back out the way he came.. taking my dreams of no pain with him. *sigh*
Then I could feel panic on MY face. I looked at Kurt and started to freak out a little and kept saying, "I can't do this, I can't so this." Rockstar indeed.. HA!
He tried to calm me down and make me focus. He was pretty much amazing and I have no idea what I would have done without him there. I would have been one of those crazy people screaming and passing out.. which I almost did.. but I digress.
Then the worst part of the entire labor.. my body wanted to push, needed to push. But the nurse said I still had a little cervix left and that I had to wait. Seriously?
My body was pushing and I was trying to stop it. It is very hard to control involuntary muscle spasms. Add in the hyperventilating that I was doing because I was freaking out saying, "I don't want to do this anymore." As if I was going to get up off the bed and walk out the door to go home. They had to give me oxygen because I was hyperventilating and my hands were going stiff and I couldn't move them.
At his point it was about 4:30am. And they were telling me that I might have to push through that tiny bit of cervix because my body was obviously ready. So push I did.
I wish I could have pushed through every contraction that I ever had. It made them feel so much better. You are not thinking about your contraction at all.. just pushing.
As I was doing the initial pushing, there was a sort of frenzy around me. My mom and Kurt were making phone calls to our families who went home. My dad went home to sleep and told my mom to call me when I got to 8cm.. I guess I skipped that part. Sorry dad. The doctor and nurses were quickly pulling my bed apart and wheeling in equipment. Chaos I tell you.
Kurt's mom go there just in time. I think she was there all of 10 minutes before Zoe was born.
Anyways, I kept pushing as hard as I could during each contraction, then tried to focus on breathing regularly in between. I didn't want to have to wait for contractions, that was no fun. At one point they asked me if I was having a contraction so I could push again and I told them, "No but I want one." HA I was delirious I think.
The doctor was there and my baby's head was halfway out. He told me to push one more little push to deliver the head. I pushed a little push, but apparently I was stronger that I thought. My sweet little baby went form having half a head out to being delivered to her waist. Then she just came on out. I was looking at the doctor as she came out and he literally had to catch her because she did a flip.
Then I heard the most wonderful words "It's a girl!" followed by the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. My daughter crying.
My eyes must have been so wide when I looked at Kurt and just said, "a girl!" I think that was all I could manage to say at that point. I was pretty tired. But not too tired to hold the most beautiful baby girl ever. (ok so I may be a little bias)
Zoe Adalyn was born at 4:56am on April 14, 2009.
And she did. At this point the anesthesiologist was walking in the door.
Then a little panic overtook her face.. she said, "umm you are 9."
It took a second for that to set in. as she told me I would NOT be receiving my epidural I was counting on. The anesthesiologist turned around and walked right back out the way he came.. taking my dreams of no pain with him. *sigh*
Then I could feel panic on MY face. I looked at Kurt and started to freak out a little and kept saying, "I can't do this, I can't so this." Rockstar indeed.. HA!
He tried to calm me down and make me focus. He was pretty much amazing and I have no idea what I would have done without him there. I would have been one of those crazy people screaming and passing out.. which I almost did.. but I digress.
Then the worst part of the entire labor.. my body wanted to push, needed to push. But the nurse said I still had a little cervix left and that I had to wait. Seriously?
My body was pushing and I was trying to stop it. It is very hard to control involuntary muscle spasms. Add in the hyperventilating that I was doing because I was freaking out saying, "I don't want to do this anymore." As if I was going to get up off the bed and walk out the door to go home. They had to give me oxygen because I was hyperventilating and my hands were going stiff and I couldn't move them.
At his point it was about 4:30am. And they were telling me that I might have to push through that tiny bit of cervix because my body was obviously ready. So push I did.
I wish I could have pushed through every contraction that I ever had. It made them feel so much better. You are not thinking about your contraction at all.. just pushing.
As I was doing the initial pushing, there was a sort of frenzy around me. My mom and Kurt were making phone calls to our families who went home. My dad went home to sleep and told my mom to call me when I got to 8cm.. I guess I skipped that part. Sorry dad. The doctor and nurses were quickly pulling my bed apart and wheeling in equipment. Chaos I tell you.
Kurt's mom go there just in time. I think she was there all of 10 minutes before Zoe was born.
Anyways, I kept pushing as hard as I could during each contraction, then tried to focus on breathing regularly in between. I didn't want to have to wait for contractions, that was no fun. At one point they asked me if I was having a contraction so I could push again and I told them, "No but I want one." HA I was delirious I think.
The doctor was there and my baby's head was halfway out. He told me to push one more little push to deliver the head. I pushed a little push, but apparently I was stronger that I thought. My sweet little baby went form having half a head out to being delivered to her waist. Then she just came on out. I was looking at the doctor as she came out and he literally had to catch her because she did a flip.
Then I heard the most wonderful words "It's a girl!" followed by the most beautiful sound I have ever heard. My daughter crying.
My eyes must have been so wide when I looked at Kurt and just said, "a girl!" I think that was all I could manage to say at that point. I was pretty tired. But not too tired to hold the most beautiful baby girl ever. (ok so I may be a little bias)
Zoe Adalyn was born at 4:56am on April 14, 2009.

Right after Zoe was born. We were in complete bliss.
The next couple of days were all a little blurred together. Zoe's pediatrician wanted her to stay at least 24 hours. So we stayed until the 16th. I am glad we stayed an extra day. I was not really in any condition to walk or even stand. My very quick delivery was not without consequences in the form of stitches. (TMI I know, but hey it's reality ;) )
The time spent int he hospitla was a whirlwind of visitors and nurses coming in and out to check on Zoe and me, different people coming in for tests and certificates. But no pictures.. that lady never came. She went home and we had to come back the next day to get her picture taken.
I was trying to soak up every minute of my experience and my new little girl. But we were definitely ready to go home by the time we were discharged.
*Blogger is not letting me post pictures. ugh.. so I will post them later.. sorry. I know what is a birth story without pictures!*
6 comments:
Wonderful! Great story...actually one of the best. Thank you Alisha. Don't think I can stay away much longer. Got to see that little girl!!
yeah! so awesome! what a woman you are=)
Ryan and I both loved reading your story, it got us really excited for our delivery!
loved reading all of your birth story, Alisha! It's amazing what our bodies can do, isn't it?? You did GREAT. As I was reading your story Annabelle's birth kept coming back to me-- it was so similiar to your story. Drug-free and quite painful. :)
Anyway, yay for you, and praise the Lord that all went well and you ended up with a healthy little girl!! She really is just too perfect.
Okay girl, I think I've been patient enough. UPDATE PUHLEASE!
What a beautiful story! Baby miracle! And yes, I agree that contractions are way worse when they break the water! Note to self: Resist the urge to speed labor along and enjoy the extra cushion!! Thanks for sharing (and reminding me of this oh so important fact!).
Post a Comment